Laundry day

| 7 Comments

Howdy blogsters! I'm back from spring break - and just a little sunburned!

Today was a getting-chores-done kind of day, so I'm writing this post from the laundry room in East Hall. If you think that sounds like a pretty mundane topic, you're right... except that this is laundry: Olin style.

The laundry tech-stravaganza starts with a quick visit to LaundryView, a website that lets me check the status of all the laundry rooms on campus. That's right, no wasted trips to the basement for me: I can find out exactly which washers and driers are free from the comfort of my desk chair.

LaundryView

My dirty laundry, on the Internet

Since there were plenty of machines free (it's nice to go to a small school), I head downstairs and load up my clothes. You do have to pay for laundry (tuition's still free though), but no quarters required. To start the machines, I just swipe my student ID card (which coincidentally also holds my meal plan, extra dining dollars, and gives me proximity access to all the buildings) and my account is debited.

Next it's back upstairs to wait for the cycle to finish. I don't need to worry about checking my watch, though - LaundryView will instant message me when my clothes are done. In the meanwhile, I used up the last of my convenience dollars on the washers, so I go online and add funds from a credit card so I can pay for the driers later.

Yes, we live in pretty amazing times. It's great to have such a wired campus, but who knew laundry could be so high-tech?

BONUS - Since I'm down here, check out some pictures of the facilities in the basement of East Hall (click for larger versions)

Laundry room

Laundry room

Exercise room small

Exercise room (TV, treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, stationary bike, exercise machine)

Music practice

Music practice room

Bike room

Bike room

Easy choice

Rinse cold, tumble dry? Even I can figure this one out!

7 Comments

I thought I'd add that the piano is a Steinway.

LaundryView=so cool. Gah! All the Olin facilities are soo nice.

Do all those bikes belong to students?

Arash-
Almost all of them do. There are a few bikes that are maintained by the Greening Olin club that are available for all students to use. I'm not sure how many of the unicycles are student-owned vs. club owned, though.
-Jessi

I just love the res halls, but what happens at the houses on campus? There are some listed on the campus map, but there's no description of what they are? are they for visitors, like parents? or can students rent them for friends? or are they for classes? I thought all classes were in the oval area?
thanks
CC

Hi CC,
Good question! The houses (Tesla, Edison, Curie, daVinci, & Curtis) aren't explained anywhere because they aren't really part of the main campus. Some of them were used before we had all our campus buildings (I believe Curie used to be the office of admission); others are still in use for various other things. They aren't for rent, and you're right that all our classes are held in the Academic Center. One house of particular note is Edison, which is home to the Olin Foundry (which Bennett blogged about a while back).
-Ben

Laundry day is always a hard day for me :(
Sincerely,
CM

Recent Assets

• BuildDayCrop14.jpg
  • skating2.gif
  • p5.jpg
  • p4.jpg
  • p3.JPG
  • p2.JPG
  • p1.JPG
  • p6.JPG
  • 1238275_10203822713793076_1989476177796862635_n.jpg
  • P1040918.JPG

Recent Comments

• beach cruiser bicycle: Laundry day is always a hard day for me :( read more
  • bhill: Hi CC, Good question! The houses (Tesla, Edison, Curie, daVinci, read more
  • Ciachua: I just love the res halls, but what happens at read more
  • jmurray: Arash- Almost all of them do. There are a few read more
  • Arash: Do all those bikes belong to students? read more
  • Emily Shaeffer: LaundryView=so cool. Gah! All the Olin facilities are soo nice. read more
  • Grant Hutchins ('06): I thought I'd add that the piano is a Steinway. read more