On learning not to be at Olin

| 3 Comments

Having now been in Florence for a month, I've finally sort of adjusted. There are some things that are still a little weird. For one thing, I'm used to doing this:

circuit.jpg

not this:

portrait.jpg

This is fun, of course, but it's a completely different way of thinking. While here, I'm taking studio, language, and art history classes. I've always been used to working constantly, for striving for perfection. In the darkroom or the easel, there isn't perfection, and for a while I was very frustrated.

This semester is good for me, in this way. I'm still spending plenty of time working (though, admittedly much less than I'm used to), but I'm learning how to work with different parts of my mind and different skills overall. I'm still using my self-learning skills, taking extra Italian lessons on for no credit. I've also been given a lot of free-reign with my artwork for my painting course this semester, so I'm learning about pushing an idea, and learning about myself.

studio.jpg

This isn't to say that I'm not having fun. Again, I had some difficulty at first- feeling jet-lagged, lonely, and foreign. After learning some more Italian and making some more friends, things are much better. I've been going on trips, seeing movies (in English, even), and learning the streets of Florence.

movie_poster.jpg

This week was a little intense, with a big photo project due, then a trip to Cinque Terre. Right now, though, I am relaxing; some cleaning, some painting, and maybe a little music are enough for today. All in all, things are going well.

Ciao,

Jessi

3 Comments

Jessi,
Your self portrait is amazing! Well done! I hope you continue to adjust to Italy, and have a fabulous time.
Alyssa

Thanks Alyssa :) I hope sophomore year is treating you well!

Florence is an amazing city ... one of my most favorite in Italy. I've been there twice and hope to go back again several more times. If you get a chance please check out my blog at: Modern Glass Coffee Table

Recent Assets

• Snowman_Death.gif
  • snowwalker.jpg
  • cheese-5.gif
  • Spin.gif
  • Doctor-Who.jpg
  • tumblr_inline_n0gjzdiGwC1r79k32.gif
  • tumblr_inline_n0gl525jux1r79k32.gif
  • tumblr_inline_mzubtoiVUB1r79k32.gif
  • well.gif
  • tumblr_m9ohb3w7GL1qa6ipw.gif

Recent Comments

• Nordaune: Florence is an amazing city ... one of my most read more
  • jmurray: Thanks Alyssa :) I hope sophomore year is treating you read more
  • Alyssa: Jessi, Your self portrait is amazing! Well done! I hope read more