Now featuring an “Internationally-Shown Artist”

| 6 Comments

Last time I blogged, I wrote about how I was entering some work in an art show here. It turns out that four of my five pieces were selected for the show. My resume just got a little more interesting.

cwa.jpg

The opening itself was pretty successful. Despite the show being in a place I personally wouldn't have noticed had I been walking by, there was a fairly substantial crowd.

zoe.jpg

(That's my roommate, Zoe, in the striped dress. She also had 4 pieces in the show and managed to pick up a few commissions as well. Also, I apologize for the blurriness of some of these. I was trying not to use my camera flash.)

There were enough people to totally demolish the buffet, in fact.

buffet.jpg

That was one of several tables.

The show itself was an interesting mix of styles. There were pieces that very obviously came from Angel Academy (a classical arts school here in Florence), and there were pieces that were very obviously more about commentary than technique. There were Renaissance-looking pieces and installations utilizing Flash. The more classical pieces won more of the awards, possibly due to the fact that there was only one judge, but all of the pieces seemed to be well-received.

bestinshow.jpg

The Best in Show went to a self-portrait bust.

nude.jpg

This is a charcoal drawing. I was blown away. It was done by a student at Angel. Apparently these take a good part of a semester, and students have to draw plaster casts for their first two years of study.

shai.jpg

These four pieces are a sub-series of a currently uncompleted work. My friend, Shai, painted these on random cloth he found and stretched himself. He ended up selling these the first night.

gallery.jpg

In this photo, you can see two of Zoe's pieces and four from another artist who apparently wants you to plant a tree.

I think the most exciting part of the night, though, was my nametag:

nametag.jpg

Oh. Yes.

Just a few weeks left in Florence now, and only about two months left in Europe. Where did the time go?

-Jessi

6 Comments

That's an excellent name tag. Dare you to wear it at the next EXPO you present for.

I just might. I don't think I've presented on a technical topic yet, and I'll probably present on study away just to continue this.

Congratulations, Jessi! Very exciting. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Totally awesome! Congratulations! And definitely save the name tag for Expo... :)

Hi Jessi,
Is there any chance you could update the email address on your profile? It doesn't seem to work.
Thanks! And congratulations :)

Hey Nancy-
I just tested it, and it does seem that my alias isn't working. I'll contact IT about that. In the meantime, my full email address is in my profile :)
And thanks, everyone!

Recent Assets

• BuildDayCrop14.jpg
  • skating2.gif
  • p5.jpg
  • p4.jpg
  • p3.JPG
  • p2.JPG
  • p1.JPG
  • p6.JPG
  • 1238275_10203822713793076_1989476177796862635_n.jpg
  • P1040918.JPG

Recent Comments

• jmurray: Hey Nancy- I just tested it, and it does seem read more
  • nancyo: Hi Jessi, Is there any chance you could update the read more
  • asharer: Totally awesome! Congratulations! And definitely save the name tag for read more
  • Alison Black: Congratulations, Jessi! Very exciting. Thanks for sharing the photos. read more
  • jmurray: I just might. I don't think I've presented on a read more
  • Nikki: That's an excellent name tag. Dare you to wear it read more