“The Olin Challenge”

| 7 Comments

I don't think we've blogged about this before, based on my skim through the entries, so here goes!

Despite how small Olin is, it seems everyone frequently runs into other students, alumni, parents, and other tangentially related people all over. We've taken to calling this the "Olin Challenge" meaning you fail when you see someone. I'm never surprised when I fail in the Boston area, but we've definitely had it happen outside of the country before, and generally all over.

Being in San Francisco, there aren't TOO many Oliners out here (the Olinglers at Google, and a few more) and my paths don't usually cross theirs. It's a possibility for me to fail, but far less likely than it would be back on the East Coast.

When I was driving to work on Friday, I [basically] failed the Olin challenge. I found a car with an "Olin 06" license plate, and an Olin sticker. Turns out that an Olin 06er that I haven't met works at Apple, and commutes the same way I do. I really like coincidences like this at Olin, because now if I really wanted to, I could email him and see if he wants to have lunch. When I hang out with my Michigan friends, they get excited when someone is from U of M, but the clearly can't take the time to get to know EVERY UMich student. It makes the Olin challenge a bit more fun than other happy coincidences.

The other fun part is when I wear Olin clothes and people ask me about the school, and are planning to apply and have questions. I like meeting prospective students- so here's an open invite! If you're in the Bay area and planning to apply to Olin and want to talk to a current student, feel free to leave a comment and we'll figure out a time.

-- Ellen

*UPDATE* I'm going to be meeting the Olin 06er for lunch sometime soon! Success!

7 Comments

We were talking about this the other day. I saw Peter ('08) wandering around a movie theater parking lot when I went to see Up. It happens way more than it should.

wait...who works at apple?

I recently realized that the Pratts attended the high school at which I teach swim lessons. Most of my coworkers know them. Do I lose?

Zach, send me an email and I'll let you know.
Brittany, I'd say that's pretty close to losing :) I'll give it to you. Are you applying?

Incoming freshman, actually. ^___^

Brittany: Exciting! I'll see you at orientation :) I'm an R2.

So, did you see the Today show on Saturday morning, 12/18? I took a picture off the screen and sent it to Nick ('11).

Recent Assets

• BuildDayCrop14.jpg
  • skating2.gif
  • p5.jpg
  • p4.jpg
  • p3.JPG
  • p2.JPG
  • p1.JPG
  • p6.JPG
  • 1238275_10203822713793076_1989476177796862635_n.jpg
  • P1040918.JPG

Recent Comments

• Rob Payton (Nick's Dad): So, did you see the Today show on Saturday morning, read more
  • jmurray: Brittany: Exciting! I'll see you at orientation :) I'm an read more
  • bstrachota: Incoming freshman, actually. ^___^ read more
  • Ellen Chisa: Zach, send me an email and I'll let you know. read more
  • bstrachota: I recently realized that the Pratts attended the high school read more
  • Zach Brass: wait...who works at apple? read more
  • jmurray: We were talking about this the other day. I saw read more