An Olin Summer

| 7 Comments
Summer 2010! Woohoo, we are roughly 2/3 of the way through the hottest months of the year.

Hi, I am Aiswarya, one of the youngins' to the Olinsider.  And I am officially done with freshman year of Olin; its crazy how fast time flew by - I still remember Orientation week last August.  And here I am, with one year of college already down.

For those of you freshmen that are coming into Olin, I advise you to take the rest of this time to relax with family (near and far) and your High School friends.  It is always well-worth it to bid farewell after an awesome summer together.  And for those of us that are at Olin for the summer, we are working our jobs, cooking our meals, and relaxing on the weekends (i.e., doing fun things).  (Mind you, the cooking part has been the challenging task.  The best so far has been baking a Red Velvet Cake for Sam's ('13) birthday.  Yummy.)

For the first few weeks of the summer, I went home to India to see my family.  Some of my High School classmates were back too, so I got to spend time with them.  It was nice being home, but the weather was so humid, I could literally feel the water droplets in the air! 
Here are some snapshots from my last visit home.
 indiacollage.jpg
(Clockwise): 1. A lady selling clay pots, ...and taking a break;  2. The Indian roadside;  3.  Refreshing coconut water, anyone?;  4. Culture meets technology

At the start of June, I got back to Olin for research.  I am working with fellow Olin '13-er, Erica, and Assistant Professor of Psychology, Jonathan Adler Ph.D, to study Borderline Personality Disorder.  We are at the start of week 9, nearing the end of our 10 week program.  Our goal this summer is to study Borderline patients from their perspective, their narration of their own life story, and to dissect further symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder from their stream of thought.  It has been exciting work analyzing various people's life stories- their experiences, their feelings, their turning points, their dreams.

Apart from work, weekends have been the days of adventuring fun.  A few weekends ago, the rising-sophomore girls decided to take a mini-road trip to the beaches of Rhode Island.  We pulled up to Second Beach in Newport, RI and spent time in the glorious sun and sand.

RIbeach.JPG
Above: Making our way onto the beach

For the 4th of July, Alison('13), Sam ('13), and I went to New York City (specifically to Long Island) where we met up with Rachel ('13) and spent the long weekend with her family.  We had a wonderful time.  The 4th included: the day at the Long Island beach, the evening at the grill, and the night at the fireplace for 'smores & fireworks.  I was delighted to experience a traditional 4th of July for the first time in my life.

newyork.jpg
Left: A view of the Original Macy's & New York traffic;  Right: A walk through Central Park

Six flags is on the cards for the coming weeks, as is the end of research.  As everything starts to wrap up, I'm looking forward to fitting a few more fun outings into my holidays.

Well, my lunch break is coming to an end and I am heading into Boston for the rest of the day. 

I look forward to seeing you in September, Olin 2014!  Until then, Happy Summer!

Aiswarya Kolisetty
Olin 2013

7 Comments

Sounds like a good time for sure, Ais! Thanks for the update. :)

Haha Sindhu Bakery....

for some reason that makes me miss india a lot!!!

Sweet pics!

<3
this summer was funnnn

hey
nice write up, presentation, of your thoughts & experiences
perfect article for your juniors and outside world .
expecting a few more articles in winter also
see you on september 2014 in INDIA
bye

hi aisu

how are you?good article. we look forward for more of them from you.photos have really helped us to feel the environments.next time you can be more elaborate as i like to hear more from you.all the best. keep it up.

regards
peddamma.

Hey Ais,

The blog is really awesome!
I see you've had an adventurous summer. Yes, I agree you have no clue how fast time flies by during your days in college!
These are the best 4 years of your life! Have loads of fun as you already are :P and work hard!
I like the road-trip of yours sounds very exciting.
Enjoy!

Regards,
Sharath.

Recent Assets

• Snowman_Death.gif
  • snowwalker.jpg
  • cheese-5.gif
  • Spin.gif
  • Doctor-Who.jpg
  • tumblr_inline_n0gjzdiGwC1r79k32.gif
  • tumblr_inline_n0gl525jux1r79k32.gif
  • tumblr_inline_mzubtoiVUB1r79k32.gif
  • well.gif
  • tumblr_m9ohb3w7GL1qa6ipw.gif

Recent Comments

• Sharath: Hey Ais, The blog is really awesome! I see you've read more
  • Usha: hi aisu how are you?good article. we look forward for read more
  • subhash: hey nice write up, presentation, of your thoughts & experiences read more
  • alishin: <3 this summer was funnnn read more
  • Erica: Sweet pics! read more
  • Varun Mani: Haha Sindhu Bakery.... for some reason that makes me miss read more
  • Brittany L. Strachota: Sounds like a good time for sure, Ais! Thanks for read more